My visit to Israel in my late teens was a tough time. I found myself getting increasingly frustrated with the conflict I saw between different faiths and denominations, and I disliked the way huge church buildings had been erected over every site that had any kind of spiritual significance. Where I had expected a journey of spiritual inspiration and nourishment, I discovered instead a growing dryness in my soul.
One of the exceptions to this pattern was a visit to the Church of All Nations at the Garden of Gethsemane. This beautiful church was built, as the name suggests, as a place of welcome for all people. There was no sign of conflict, and no visible agenda other than providing a place of worship for whoever needed it. As I walked toward the entrance, there was an old priest sitting on a stool. He looked me in the eye and, with feeling, said three words: “God bless you”. In this cool, quiet sanctuary I immediately sensed the peace and presence of God. I slipped into a pew and began to pray and meditate, feeling my soul expand as I drank in the blessing of this place. When the call from the tour guide came to move on, I reluctantly left this sanctuary, but I offered a heartfelt word of thanks to the old priest as I passed him again.
Was it those three words that made the difference that day? I’ll never really know, but I do know that they touched me, and I am certain that they helped me to relax and receive the blessing that awaited me. I also know this – words have power, and words of blessing are an underutilised force for good in our world.
In Genesis 12 when God calls Abraham he speaks two primary words to him – he will be blessed and he will be a blessing. It is not a new thought that God’s blessing is given in order that we may bless others – it is a central tenet of the Scriptures. Yet, somehow, we have developed a culture where blessing is seen as a gift to individuals, which may be hoarded and used only for personal benefit. The impact of this view has been dramatically shown as we continue to struggle through the worst economic crisis of our generation and as the unnecessary evil of poverty persists across the globe.
This is why I believe so strongly in a simple act that concludes every worship gathering in many churches – the benediction (literally a “saying of wellness” or “good word”). It is significant that in the moment when we turn our attention from the spiritual discipline of worship to the daily business of our lives we receive a blessing, a “good word” to send us on our way. The benediction reminds us of the blessing we have received in our encounter with God, and sends us back out into the world to be a blessing – to carry the blessing with us and to share it with others. When we use this short, but powerful moment well, we leave the sanctuary with one final resource with which to touch and change the world.
So, next time you join a community at worship, don’t allow yourself to mentally leave the sanctuary during the last hymn. Stay focussed and wait for the final gift. Receive the blessing openly and intentionally, with a thankful heart, and then, as you leave the sanctuary, think about how, in the coming week, you are going to pass the blessing on. Then, give thanks that God has blessed you and made it possible for you to be a blessing in turn.
__________
John van de Laar is a Methodist minister, liturgical consultant and the author of the book Food for the Road – Life Lesson from the Lord’s Table. He holds a Master’s Degree in theology from UNISA, and is the founder of Sacredise.com, an international worship training and resourcing ministry. John is married to Debbie, and they have two sons.
Visit www.sacredise.com for more articles by John, as well as resources for personal and public worship – music, prayers, liturgies, images and drama scripts.